Database replication

Jonathan Share jshare at opera.com
Mon Sep 3 14:43:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the possibility of using MogileFS and had a
quick question regarding the database requirements of MogileFS.

Background: Total hardware allocated to this project right now is 2
blade servers. The current plan is to run both servers in identical
configurations so that we can fail over to one server when necessary
(failure or software upgrade). This works fine for our application
(Python based) using MySQL in a dual master replication setup, the
current weak point is file storage, which is where I'm hoping to bring
in a MogileFS based solution.

Question: Does anyone have experience of running MogileFS in a dual
master replication setup? From my own experience, if the database was
not designed for it you can have problems.

If MogileFS does not support running in a dual master setup do I have
any other options for a HA solution? A colleague has suggested the NDB
table type but as this is entirely in memory I'm a little hesitent.
Would MogileFS be able to cope with the loss of the metadata in the
database (regenerating from the storage nodes perhaps) in the event of
the UPS failing (has happened once this year)?

Thanks in advance.

Jon