Is this a syslogd error?

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Tue Sep 4 04:49:30 UTC 2007

Hemant Bist wrote:
> Hi,
> I am testing mogilefs on  a single machine on ubunutu dapper. I ran a
> script that apparently 'crashed' mogilefsd after few hours.
> Around the time when mogilefsd crashed, I see the following
> error.(syslog file was rotated around this time). To me it looks like
> that syslogd rotation caused mogilefsd to crash.
> Am I correct in my conclusion? Is there some setting I can use to avoid
> this?
>
> (line 262 in .../MogileFS/Server.pm is 262 is   Sys::Syslog::syslog(@_); )

(I could be wrong; just took two minutes to look at this).

`perldoc Sys::Syslog` says that error happens when syslog couldn't talk
over reliable connection. I'm assuming you have syslogd logging to
localfiles on the same machine as the mogilefs tracker.

A quick fix might be adding "setlogsock('udp');" above the Server.pm
line with Sys::Syslog::openlog in it.

Should be an easy test if you can manually stop syslogd and cause the
mogile tracker to crash.

It could be a while before I personally could test this condition and
suggest a patch, but if someone else wants to it's really easy.

-Dormando