Folders and duplicate file names

drpr0ctologist at gmail.com drpr0ctologist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:45:04 UTC 2007

> Browsers will only make a limited number of HTTP connections to a
> specific host.  By using multiple hostnames, you increase the number of
> concurrent connections a browser will make.  It is also useful to
> seperate static content from dynamic content because dynamic content
> servers typically are heavy weight (Apache w/mod_perl or mod_php)
> compared to static content servers (lighttpd, nginx, etc).

I didn't know about the limited connections per host. Thanks!

Regarding separating static and dynamic content servers, doesn't PerlBal
pretty much act as the go-between?

Perlbal gets a request for www.site.com/1.jpg, it passes the request to the
PHP server.  The PHP server talks to MogileFS tracker and the tracker lets
the PHP server know the real file location is in whatever.site.com/abc.fid.
It then sends a reproxy header to PerlBal, and PerlBal fetches the actual
file from whatever.site.com/abc.fid (which happens to run lighttpd) and
returns it to the client.

Thus this would still allow separation of dynamic vs. static content doesn't
it?