Heads up to Postgresql MogileFS users

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 18 07:38:32 UTC 2007

Heya,

I'm not sure how many other folk have MogileFS deployed on Postgresql
other than myself, but last week my mogilefs database in PG started
growing like crazy in disk consumption, while there was no change in the
rate of additions/deletions of files (presently around 4M files,
mindevcount=3, hosts=5, devs=5).

Anyway, after a VACUUM FULL + REINDEX on all of the mogile tables,
disk usage for that database dropped to 25% of the previous size, and
things ran much faster again :-). Main culprits appeared to be sparse
deletion in old records of files/file_on causing lots of non-optimal
data pages, as well bloat in the rapidly moving file_to_* tables.

So if you are using Mogile on Postgresql, take care of your database!

PG8.3 promises real ENUM columns, which will aid greatly where we are
using VARCHAR instead presently for storing device/host states.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
E-Mail     : robbat2 at gentoo.org