Mogstored Tuning

Mark Smith smitty at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:37:23 UTC 2008

>   We are using mogstored for both reads and writes.  I wasn't aware of
>  the ability to split out reads, but I found the command in mogadm.  I'll
>  give that a spin.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Definitely definitely do that, that's one of the first things we did
when we actually started using MogileFS in a serious way on LJ.
Apache2 works, lighttpd works, whatever can do GETs in a quick way
will work!

>  Is there a way to gather statistics on the number of reads/writes
>  passing through mogstored?

Not built in, but you should be able to determine this by just
understanding your traffic.  Unless you are overwriting files
constantly, or serving as a backup service where people don't get
their data often, there's only a few writes per file.  One to insert,
N to replicate up to mindevcount, and then many reads for serving.
The files aren't touched again (unless you do something with fsck or
rebalancing, but even then you're still heavily on the side of reads
for most usage).

--
Mark Smith / xb95
smitty at gmail.com