MogileFS module for nginx - sanity check + anyone interested?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:21:39 UTC 2008

We've been discussing a MogileFS module on the nginx mailing list.

It would be awesome - and probably fit within the nginx framework
pretty easily. All that's needed is a little bit of C.

The biggest thing I am wondering is how to map a URL request into a
unique MogileFS key that can be created from PHP (or whatever
application) - the idea is to have nginx talk to the tracker, then
fetch from mogstored and skip needing any application-level (PHP,
etc.) interaction.

Two of us have pledged money (as long as it's open sourced and
developed in community spirit) to jump start development. Here's the
ideas/mail thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/4696
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/4699
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/4703
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/4705

Perhaps some people on this list have some ideas of how to resolve URL
-> key, and how to determine the future URL of a file ahead of time so
you can generate the key...

nginx already has http upstream/proxy support, so it would be very
easy once you talk to a tracker and get the file locations, you could
probably easily use some nginx proxy code to grab the file right from
the specific mogstored...

Thoughts?