New install: mogstored dying, and mogtool problems

Greg Connor gconnor at nekodojo.org
Wed Apr 30 19:14:04 UTC 2008

Mark Smith wrote:
>>  First, I had to make some changes to the code (even after getting the
>> current subversion trunk) which blocked me from running make or starting the
>> daemons for the first time.  They seemed like they had been there a while
>> but also seemed pretty easy to fix.  I'll post diffs if folks are interested
>> but I suspect almost everyone has fixed these on their own or the cluster
>> wouldn't be operational.  I'm only mentioning it here in case this indicates
>
> Before I go any further ... this worries me, since the code you're
> changing IS valid.  Can you elaborate some on your setup - what
> operating system, what version of Perl, anything else that is
> pertinent to where you are running the MogileFS code?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply.  I'm running perl v5.8.0.  The machine is
Red Hat Linux 8.0 and uname -a looks like:
Linux stump 2.4.20-28.8 #1 Thu Dec 18 12:53:39 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

Is it possible that the code is not valid for 5.8.0 but is valid on a
newer version of perl?  They seemed like real, live mistakes to me but
it's possible that a newer perl treats them as valid.

I know it's a pretty old OS so upgrading to a more modern CentOS or
something is definitely an option... I probably put too much trust in
the "make test" of each module to let me know if something is
problem/missing/unsupported...

Thanks again.
gregc