Types of access control for clients

Jay K jayk at ion0.com
Sun Feb 10 19:15:32 UTC 2008

HI Dormando,

Thanks.  That's kind of the conclusion I came to with my reading thus
far.

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to add access control it'd
have to be in both the tracker and the storage daemon?

If I were to undertake a simple access control patch / hook would it
be something that the dev team might be interested in integrating?
Mostly wondering if others have interest in access control
functionality.

Thanks!

Jay

On Feb 9, 2008, at 2:12 PM, dormando wrote:

> Hey,
>
> MogileFS is designed for you to put access control on a layer above
> the
> actual mogilefs storage. There's no handshake or authentication or
> ACL's
> anywhere inside it. All it has is logical partitioning.
>
> This is ultimately more flexible (the application knows about its own
> userids, its own custom ACL situation, relative data, 3rd party
> sources,
> etc), but mogilefs doesn't have to be designed to be that flexible.
>
> But it means it sucks for shared hosting setups. You can probably hack
> it to kinda do what you want?
>
> -Dormando
>
> Jay K wrote:
>> Hi there all,
>>
>> I am pretty new to mogilefs and I like what I have seen so far -
>> but I
>> have one question that I've been unable to find the answer to.
>>
>> Can there be any access control applied to clients access to
>> trackers / nodes?  I am considering setting mogilefs up for several
>> of
>> my clients to use - but as I do not control their systems I want to
>> make sure that each client can only access their piece of the
>> mogilefs
>> pie...
>>
>> It didn't look like there was any way to accomplish this by
>> default...
>> but I've read about people using other methods of access (Webdav?)
>> etc... so I wondered what people are doing and what is technically
>> feasible.
>>
>> If anyone has info / tips / suggestions on reading, I would really
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jay

---
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
atrocities." --Voltaire