mogstored dying: redux

Greg Connor gconnor at nekodojo.org
Mon May 19 01:25:12 UTC 2008

On May 18, 2008, at 5:59 PM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On May 18, 2008, at 17:54, Greg Connor wrote:
>
>>       Running.
>>       Out of memory!
>>       Out of memory!
>

> Yikes.   64MB chunks shouldn't be that bad.  Are the storage nodes
> otherwise loaded (high IO wait or some such).

Nope, the storage nodes are doing nothing other than mogstored at this
time.

> Did you try using another HTTP server (lighttpd, nginx, apache, ...)
> for the file transfers to the storage nodes?  I suspect most/many
> users use that so mogstored doesn't get used that much in high
> traffic environments ...

No I have not tried this.  Do you believe mogstored is pretty useless
in a production environment?  If that's true and widely known, it's
too bad the documents don't reflect this... Is there a document or
list posting that explains what parts of mogilefs should be tuned (or
outright replaced) for a high-traffic application?

Are there documents stashed somewhere that I'm missing?  I looked at
the "new" wiki (last updates about 5 and 10 months ago) and read
everything available there, and I've read most of the man pages.  I
keep finding stuff that I'm totally not getting.  I would welcome some
advice or pointers on how to get apache set up to replace mogstored
for file transfers...