Comparing perlbal performance with Squid as reverse proxy with url blocking

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Tue Nov 2 17:11:15 PST 2004

I wrote a very simple plugin which would block URL patterns (what
Squid could do for nimda/code-red). I temporarily modified it to send a
403 response for every request. Squid was configured to talk to one
backend and had some acls which blocked uri patterns

Running perlbal on FC1 with 2.6.9 and driving it via two clients via 100
Mbit switched lan with httperf, I wanted to see what the request rate
perlbal could handle compared to Squid 2.5 (uses poll)

httperf command line was httperf --server <SERVER-IP> --uri /block.html
--rate 400 --num-conns 1000

At best I would get a rate of 180 req/sec with one client and 80 req/sec
with 2 clients

With Squid it was 400 req/sec with one client and 200 req/sec with 2
clients

It didn't make a difference whether I enabled client persistence in
Squid or not. Numbers were the same

Plugin code attached. Not sure if this is causing grief

Regards, Yusuf