Reverse proxy for multiple single-threaded servers?

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Sat Oct 23 00:15:32 PDT 2004

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Should be fine.  Perlbal never permanently marks a node dead.

Good news, thanks.

> If your webserver supports it, enable persistent connections on your
> internal servers (or "Keep-Alives") and hopefully your webserver also
> supports OPTIONS requests.

Very good, I'll be sure to support these and then enable
persist_backend and verify_backend. I appreciate the detailed
information about how these options work.

> Note that "persist_backend" does NOT mean users will keep going to the
> same node each time, as users often want for PHP session files and such.
> It means persistent CONNECTIONS only, not persistent node assignment. So
> if you were using PHP sessions, you need to use a centrally-stored session
> handler.

Good point. After reading your excellent OSCON paper, I've been changing my webapp
to use mysql cluster and store all session state on a global server.

Thanks very much for your help,

Kevin