Any insight on the sendstats balance method ?

Mark Smith marksmith at danga.com
Fri Oct 29 10:01:45 PDT 2004

This is implemented in LiveJournal via a module we link in with our
code:

http://cvs.livejournal.org/browse.cgi/livejournal/cgi-bin/Apache/SendStats.pm

That module is responsible for sending out information about this Apache's
current status.  Perlbal can then use that information to balance.

We used to use this, but we don't use it for balancing anymore.  We
found that the most effective and efficient way of load balancing is by
using verify_backend, persist_backend, and a balance_method of random.

This will have at most N+1 connections open to any backend, where N is
the number of available connections it can serve.  Perlbal won't send
traffic to it unless it knows it's active.

This (random balancing + the options mentioned) is what we use on
LiveJournal, and it works well for us.  Let me know if you have any
questions!

--
Mark Smith
junior at danga.com