General performance of perlbal

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sun May 21 19:35:06 UTC 2006

Can you give more information on your benchmark and test? Are you
running the proxied service on the same machine as perlbal and ab? Is
your test page dynamic or static? Large or small? Just dump out all of
the details :)

There are also a few profiling options that come with perlbal... Check
the docs and sources for their usage. I would also recommend trolling
through all of the stats outputs as you run your test. You can see if
backend connections are actually being reused, if persistent client
connections are being used, etc.

I can handle a couple hundred reproxied requests/sec through a single
instance on a 2ghz opteron without much trouble or memory bloat. That
assumes a lot of things are actually working though. My "worst case"
performs notably less.

-Dormando