Perlbal reproxied downloads stalling

Sam G ceptorial at comcast.net
Fri Sep 22 05:51:27 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

Welp, turns out it wasn't perlbal at all. It was a Cisco routing table
issue; we have client requests coming into our Cisco IOS SLB, which go to
perlbal, then to a backend apache, then back out the same route... or so
we thought. Turns out that the Cisco switch, instead of routing outgoing
requests from perlbal back through the SLB to the client, routed them
through the switch, but not through the SLB. (Incoming requests went
through the SLB.) So during long downloads, the SLB thought the connection
was idle, and just closed them, resulting in the stalled downloads.

We discovered it was Cisco by attempting to access the perlbal w/o the SLB
and having it work, and figured it was the routing table by observing that
increasing the IOS SLB delay setting (which keeps the connection open even
if there is no activity in case of lost packets) increased the time that
downloads would work.

Anyways, sorry to clog everyone's inbox on the list w/ all the debug
output :) But thanks very much Brad for your vigilance in trying to tackle
this problem.

-Sam