How does Perlbal translate URLs?

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Sun Aug 19 19:51:36 UTC 2007

drpr0ctologist at gmail.com wrote:
>     Perlbal doesn't translate it, your application does.
>
>     User requests hi.jpg
>     Perlbal forwards request to application
>     Application returns X-REPROXY-URL: 2342342.fid
>     Perlbal requests 2342342.fid and returns it to the user
>

> Suppose I go directly to 2342342.fid in my browser (not using Perlbal).
> Would this lead to the image showing up?
>
> Also, do I need to use Perlbal in order to use MogileFS?

You could, but... why not just use perlbal? Mogstored is already a
perlbal. Just go all the way :) Perlbal does return request buffering,
upload buffering, header caching...

After seeing a bunch of your questions to the list, I'd highly recommend
just installing an instance of this guy locally and playing with it for
a few hours.

Set up a DB, mogilefs tracker, storage, perlbal, and apache+language on
localhost somewhere. Have perlbal talk to apache, then fiddle with small
application scripts until you get it right.

(and to answer your question, just think: If you request hi.jpg and your
application looks it up via key in mogilefs, what will happen if you
request a 135921352135.fid through your application? :)

fid's are also ephemeral! If you replace a file it gets a new fid. Not a
good thing to use as a permalink anywhere.

-Dormando