management of multiple perlbal instances?

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Thu Jun 21 17:52:27 UTC 2007

We do something a little ghetto.

We have two syncs. One for pushing out new configs, and one for making
live changes to everything but node members.

Since perlbal automatically updates a node list when a file changes,
that gets synced out along with the template files. Then perlbal picks
up the changes, blah blah.

When we make a config change, we edit the config file, then hand-write a
"diff" (since it'd have `use service` instead of `create services`,
etc). We test the diff on one machine, then have a script blast it out
to the management interface on all of the perlbals.

The rollout process is pretty quick, most of the time is spent writing
the new config and testing it.

-Dormando