LAMP - perbal and wackamole - suggestions pls.

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri May 11 21:06:23 UTC 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Ashish Padave wrote:

> If one of the machines were to go down you can tell perlbal to only
> server from the single apache without having to restart anything.

perlbal will do that automatically.

> This works very well if apache/mysql goes down, but if the entire
> box fails then you are in trouble. Generally speaking having
> services that reconfigure network settings and take ownership of
> ips are prone to failure.

wackamole is extremely robust and in simple configurations heartbeat
is too.  Have you tried it?

> My BIG question is can perbal with wackamole or something else,
> help me to serve requests even if the machine hosting perlbal
> (Machine A) went down completely.

Yup - to make sure the users always reach a working perlbal, you can
use wackamole or heartbeat to move the public IP or IPs to the
working server when the other one fails.

   - ask