Undef client_ip ... in assign_client. Closing...

dormando dormando at rydia.net
Wed Oct 24 22:29:35 UTC 2007

Brett Hoerner wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Paul Baker <bakerp at google.com> wrote:
>> Is this something I should be worried about?
>
> Hmm, looks like it's from Danga::Socket::peer_ip_string (1301),
>
>     return $self->{peer_ip} = Socket::inet_ntoa($iaddr);
>
>>From http://perldoc.perl.org/Socket.html,
>
> inet_aton HOSTNAME
> Takes a string giving the name of a host, and translates that to an
> opaque string (if programming in C, struct in_addr). Takes arguments
> of both the 'rtfm.mit.edu' type and '18.181.0.24'. If the host name
> cannot be resolved, returns undef. For multi-homed hosts (hosts with
> more than one address), the first address found is returned.

ntoa, not aton:

Just translates an IP address into a string. I tried tracing it down
once and it happens if the socket doesn't connect right, all the way, or
something, so there's no ip address information. I didn't know exactly
how this happens so I left it.

It's infrequent and doesn't hurt anything. Just noisy.

-Dormando