When to use Perlbal

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Tue Oct 30 21:42:38 UTC 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 11:19, J Davis wrote:

> I realize that the hardware devices have HA features that Perlbal
> lacks but wouldn't it make sense to add a heartbeat fail over
> mechanism to your pool of Perlbals instead of placing them behind
> another load balancer?

Perlbal does better load balancing than the hardware devices, so it's
better for the load balancing of the backend servers.

For load balancing and making perlbal itself highly available, a
"hardware loadbalancer" is fine if you have one anyway.

I usually use wackamole to make the public HTTP IPs highly available -
it works very very well.

  - ask