Perlbal with Mongrels

TJ Murphy TJ at freewebs.com
Wed Oct 31 20:26:06 UTC 2007

Allo,

I'm currently running Perlbal (1.59, reverse_proxy) to load balance a
bunch of mongrels.  Occasionally I get to a point where Perlbal will
serve return a blank white screen instead of returning the app response.
My users have dubbed it the "White Screen Of Death".  I'm not sure where
to begin debugging the problem or sorting out the cause.

I see the issue happen when I have a spike in requests or if I kill off
the mongrels.  I have found that adding more mongrels usually leads to
less white screens.

Also, it seems that verify_backend doesn't really jive with mongrel.  I
suspect it's because mongrel doesn't respond to an OPTIONS request.  Is
there any way to benefit from verify_backend in my case?