my instance's performance.

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Sat Apr 12 05:39:26 UTC 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 1:09 AM, Elliott A. Johnson wrote:
> Currently I have a perlbal instance (with XS headers activated)
> connected to a single backend node running thttpd.  Both machines
> have 2 dual core, 3.6Ghz Xeons with 8gigs of ram (dell blades) and
> are running linux with a 2.6.24 kernel.
>
> I've used httperf to test direct connections to the backend
> server.  Testing from 3 similar hosts on the same subnet as the
> webserver it can sustain several thousand connections per second
> and each connection fetches a static 12k css file.

Static files.

In my (limited) perlbal experience, serving static files will always
be faster without perlbal as a proxy. Just use nginx, or lighttpd or
another event driven webserver for your static files.

Perlbal really shines when you use it as a frontend to big bloated
mod_{pick_scripting_language_of_choice} or fastcgi servers.

In you case I would say that you are trying to use the wrong tool for
the job...

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo