fair load balancing?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri Jun 20 18:50:06 UTC 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 10:26, Moses Hohman wrote:

> Finally, what would Perlbal do if all mongrel processes were busy
> and did not respond to the verify_backend requests? Would Perlbal
> itself then queue up those requests?

Yes, it's really good about that.

I have one client who's running his application on just one server.
There we still use Perlbal in part for buffering, but also because it
makes it safe and easy to restart the application server (eh, apache)
as Perlbal will help the users wait for the few seconds until the
service comes back.

Another related trick I use there is to have a small script that talks
to the perlbal management port and makes the service use a different
pool when we need to do database maintenance or such that takes down
the site (again, there's only one server so we can't do the usual "use
the other master" tricks for schema changes).

  - ask