OT: PHP BCMath slowness

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Thu Aug 4 15:10:12 PDT 2005

Replying to the list to summarize:

There were issues in my code which made it even slower than it should
have been; those issues notwithstanding, BCMath is still rather
slow.  In particular, systems without bcpowmod() (that is, anything
below PHP 5.0.0) pose a special challenge, as bcmod(bcpow()) is not
an acceptable substitute for bcpowmod.  It would appear that GMP is
the best mechanism for bigint manipulation in PHP.  While it's not
bundled (as BCMath is), I can't see why a host wouldn't offer GMP in
PHP.

Thanks to all who responded for their assistance and advice,

Kurt