OpenID and desktop applications

Lukas Leander Rosenstock webmaster at lukasrosenstock.net
Wed Dec 7 15:57:32 UTC 2005

Hello!
It should be no problem for you to write a desktop application that asks
for the users identity, then fetches this URL with a HTTP engine and
looks up the identity server URL. This URL, however, must be rendered
with some kind of HTML browser because the user needs an interface to
enter his password and set trust with his identity server. This must be
taken back to your application. I could imagine three possiblities for this:
a) Use a browser engine embedded in your application, e.g. if your
native desktop application is for Windows you can simply use the IE
ActiveX control. The "openid.return_to" is a "dummy" URL. If you see
your browser control navigating there stop it from doing this, catch the
query string and process it in your application, e.g. read out
"openid.mode" and the others and do the ID check (using immediate or
association) on the local machine.
b) Call the OpenID server on the users default browser. The browser
needs to give control back to your application, so you must give him an
"openid.return_to" that is either
http://localhost:port_of_your_application/ or specialprotocol:foo (might
be difficult to handle). Then read out "openid.mode" and the others and
do the ID check (using immediate or association) on the local machine.
c) If your application is connected to a web service anyway you do the
ID check on the server. Your application opens a session with the server
and then opens the URL, this time "openid.return_to" is part of the
webservice. The webservice can to the ID check and then notify the
application on the local machine (through the socket/session) that logon
was successfull.

I hope that helps!

Lukas