brainstorming on naming

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Dec 14 20:01:39 UTC 2005

I think here are some terms that are "close" what I think we should
express -- maybe somebody has a bright idea combining some of this
with some of what has been said before.

Open
Decentralized
User-controlled
Extensible
very, very simple
URL-based
REST-ful
Secure
Meta
Capabilities
Service

I don't think it necessarily has to say anything about, or have much
affiliation with any of the following:

Identity (it's broader than that)

Personally, I also think that the thing we are developing here is in
the same category as SMTP, LDAP etc. etc. -- things that techies care
about in order to make things work, but that end users do not care
about, do not understand and don't really need to be exposed to
(except in a configuration dialog perhaps). So I'd rather prefer a
name that sounds more like those techie acronyms, than something that
sounds like it is intended to be blasted all over the front pages of
every web page.

But most importantly, I don't really care much about the name except
that I don't want to be embarrassed saying it in front a crowd of
developers *or* business / money people.

["OpenDISCO" is a borderline case with respect to the latter --
imagine you walk by a conference session, don't have an idea what it
is all about and you hear something about "the disco is open"?
Somehow that conference session might end up with the wrong walk-in
audience ... especially to European ears, "disco" means "discotheque"
aka "dance/nightclub", see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco ]

Johannes Ernst