Server should provide the identity URL

Richard 'toast' Russo russor at msoe.edu
Tue Jul 5 09:52:10 PDT 2005

Doing it this way makes it pretty easy to see who is looking at your site
without (most of) the users knowing you're finding out.  With the current
method, you can only try to see if everyone visiting your site is
bradfitz.com.

Nefarious example:

You want to out users who read an lj community you're a member of.  You
link to an offsite page (which you control) from the community journal.
The offsite page contains invisible images which require openid
authentication from livejournal.  Depending on where you host it, and what
meme was at the domain before, maybe a few people will login to get the
invisible images, and you've got a list of users who probably read the
community journal (regardless of if they have friended it).

--
Success! You are foaf http://openid.enslaves.us/