OpenID & LID in a passel-world

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sat Jul 23 23:51:47 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 23:32 -0400, Xageroth Sekarius wrote:
> There will never be (nor should there ever be) one identity system to
> rule them all.
> OpenID and LID will remain relevant so long as they remain the best at
> their respective approaches to identity. Same goes for Passel.
>
> Just my humble opinion. I think dreams of an identity system
> dominating the world should have died with Passport.

<by that line of logic>
There will never be (nor should there ever be) one information delivery
protocol to rule them all.

gopher and wais will remain relevant so long as they remain the best at
their respective approaches to information delivery.  Same goes for
HTTP.
</by that line of logic>

Sometimes, a technology "wins" by most metrics.  Just because it hasn't
happened yet for identity systems, doesn't mean that it won't.  Some
systems, like Passport, were doomed to fail for obvious reasons we don't
need to rehash here.  However, just because there have been failures in
the past, doesn't mean someone won't stumble on a killer combination
that solves the problem well enough for a huge class of problems to
relegate the other techniques to obscurity.

Rob