OpenID status update

Evan Martin evan.martin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 12:25:33 PDT 2005

On 6/5/05, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
> Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I'm fine with adding an integer.  (effectively the major)  Minor protocol
> > revs will be implied by the precense of new parameters.
>
> For what it's worth, I think it's pointless. Everyone will ignore it
> until there are multiple versions anyway, so all you're doing is making
> the URL a few bytes longer for no real benefit.

However, one useful thing is to define behavior for when the version
does change.
For example, add something to the spec like:
  If there is a version key in the request, you should just return an
error like "version not understood".
This allows you to actually add that new version without worrying
about how older consumers will handle it.