secret/secret_handle format/restrictions

Paul Crowley paul at ciphergoth.org
Wed Jun 8 01:40:14 PDT 2005

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can we get some clarifications on the allowed lengths/formats of various
> fields?

Good points all.  I've updated the spec - let me know if what's there is OK.

>    The handle and secret must both be ASCII, 255 characters or less,
>    and not contain whitespace.

Updated per handle.  As for the secret, that's tricker - if we're going
to be XORing MAC secrets and hash results, we want them both to be
binary when we do that, so I've said that secrets are binary but we send
them in base64.
--
   __
\/ o\ Paul Crowley, paul at ciphergoth.org