DH Support and Marketing

Nathan D. Bowen nbowen+yadis at andtonic.com
Wed Jun 22 17:56:30 PDT 2005

Paul Crowley wrote:

 > My point about advocacy stands.

I think I understood your point about advocacy, but I'm still asking for
help.

You seem quite confident that it will be okay for OpenID to send
unencrypted secret keys without worrying about eavesdroppers.

Please understand that this idea can be counterintuitive to others --
understandably so, I think, given the conventional wisdom about handling
secret keys.

I would not ask you to compromise the protocol's security just to make
it more intuitive.

I would ask (and am asking) for your help in explaining the security
benefits of allowing the unencrypted option, because I don't understand
it and I'm having trouble explaining it to others.

If the unencrypted option is only a red flag to "those who don't know
much about it", I've got a feeling that it will be a red flag for a lot
of potential implementors.

 > I'm not proposing we ditch DH, I'm proposing we make it optional.  What
 > practical advantage of making it mandatory do you anticipate?

Maybe this should wait, since the following may only make sense given my
view that it's preferable to protect a secret key from eavesdropping. If
I come to understand that encryption won't be advantageous, I'm sure I
wouldn't consider it advantageous to mandate it.

I'll explain the practical advantage I anticipate, with the caveat that
I'm starting from the preconceptions stated above.

I see it as an issue of interoperability (the "they all work with each
other" part from the OpenID homepage).

If consumers have the option to request cleartext key exchanges, a
server can't protect its keys from eavesdroppers without occasionally
turning away spec-compliant consumers (or dropping the cash for SSL).

If servers have the option to ignore a request for encryption, a
consumer can't protect all its servers' keys without occasionally
turning away spec-compliant servers.

Whether or not the use of encryption is mandated, I at least assumed
that OpenID would mandate that servers support encryption when it's
requested. This would give consumers cleartext if they insist on
cleartext and encryption if they insist on encryption.

To me, SSL seems like a needlessly expensive option. But at least SSL
provides a server-side option to people like me. If servers can ignore
consumers' requests for encryption, there's no consumer-side option that
guarantees encryption to people like me.

I thought the compromise was to ensure that concerned parties could use
encryption if they desired, and I'm disappointed to see that the
compromise only allows consumers to suggest encryption and hope for the
best.