Anything wrong with my association?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Sun Jun 26 21:04:38 PDT 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Kristopher Tate wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been testing our implementation against the lifewiki consumer, and
> for some reason we're not getting back an assoc_handle from it. It seems
> to me that somehow it's rejecting our response to openid.mode=associate...

I noticed that too with LifeWiki against LiveJournal.  I think Mark didn't
give the consumer object a "cache" attribute, so the Net::OpenID::Consumer
has no choice but to be dumb.

But are you sure LifeWiki was even ever trying to do an associate mode?  I
never looked, but judging from the code, it shouldn't even get that far:

sub server_assoc {
    my ($csr, $server) = @_;

    # closure to return undef (dumb consumer mode) and log why
    my $dumb = sub {
        $csr->_debug("server_assoc: dumb mode: $_[0]");
        return undef;
    };

    my $cache = $csr->cache;
    return $dumb->("no_cache") unless $cache;

> I don't want to implement DH right now, but at the same time, I don't want
> to use dumb mode.

The two are unrelated.

> (Haha, and the new spec page is great. Much more easier to follow now!
> Thanks Brad!)

Glad it was useful!  Let me know if you find anything confusing in it---
I never really proofread it in its entirety.

- Brad