Guestbook Broken

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 17:25:16 PDT 2005

Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Martin Atkins wrote:
>

>>* For some reason, the second signature validation is failing with that
>>naive_verify_failed_return error. The first validation seems to be
>>working okay. I'm not sure what's differing. The form submission
>>includes all of the openid.* fields from the request, so they should all
>>be replicated in the final request and thus I'd expect the verification
>>step to work exactly the same as it did the first time.
>
> There's a time component.  You only have a certain amount of time to check
> the signature, iirc.

Is this the limit imposed by the expiry time? I did notice initially
that I was getting different errors because I was taking longer than 60
seconds (as set by LiveJournal) to enter my test messages. The
naive_verify_failed_return thing is what I was getting when I replied in
less than 60 seconds.

I've actually now got a different problem which is driving me crazy. I
enter my OpenID login, do the redirect dance and get my entry form. I
enter some stuff in the form and hit submit, but then the consumer
library fails verify with no error. My app just outputs:
"Error: " (there's no message)

I've only just started having this problem, though, so I've not looked
into it much. I'll sprinkle some debug messages all over the consumer
library and figure out where it's failing...

>>* The Consumer library doesn't seem to be doing delegate right, or I'm
>>just calling it wrong. If I enter a URL which delegates to my
>>LiveJournal URL, everything goes through as normal but the library tells
>>my code that the identity is my LiveJournal URL, not the one I entered.
>

> Really?  You using the newest library?  Sprinkle some debug around... I've
> been using delegated and normal identities fine.

Ah. It seems that my installed library version wasn't quite as new as I
thought it was. This now works.