Integer representation

meepbear * meepbear at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 11:21:12 PDT 2005

I have a rather pesky bug I've wasted the past few hours on trying to track
it down: DH assertions work fine except 1 in every so many will fail for no
apparant reason.

My best guess so far is that it has to do with integer representations. For
instance if I have 0x8000 hexadecimal is that supposed to go down the wire
as "8000" or "08000" or "008000"?
I have no idea how Perl store its bigints so I need some help with this :).

It's either a problem with the most significant bit that would signal a
negative number if they're not unsigned in which case I'd just need to pad
with a leading zero(s) and/or an alignment problem in which case I would
need to know if they're word or double word aligned.