OpenID Proposal: OpenID Messaging

Kristopher Tate kris at bbridgetech.com
Wed Jun 29 14:46:34 PDT 2005

Hello everyone!

Amid using LiveJournal with my OpenID account lately, I find it very
troublesome that I can't receive a notification that someone has
replied to my comment. So, while I was out to lunch today, I started to
think about a new OpenID mode: 'message'.

Now alot of you may be thinking that this either a realllly good idea,
or to quite the contrary, a realllly bad one.

I don't think that it would be too hard to manage.

Basically, if a user associates their ID with a consumer, then the
consumer can send the user a message, that would be routed to their
email address by their ID server.

Am I going to far here, or would you like me to make some example code?

-Kris

Mode: message
HTTP method:	POST (x-www-form-urlencoded body)
Flow:	consumer $B"*(B server $B"*(B consumer
		or additionally: server $B"*(B consumer $B"*(B server

Mode 'message': Request parameters
param	value	(notes)

openid.mode => 	"message"
Message-ID => <Originator's created ID (255 max bytes) + '@' +
Originator's hostname/FQDN>
Date => Timestamp in w3c format (UTC timezone)
 From => Name <OpenID URL> (If this message was sent from a cron job or
something, from will be omitted, and the reciving implementation will
display what hostname/FQDN (from Sender URI) it is from)
Sender => Consumer/OpenID server endpoint (URI)
To => Optional Name <OpenID URL> (this must be present)
Subject => Subject (255 max bytes, optional although recommended)
In-Reply-To => <Instigators created ID (255 max bytes) + '@' +
Originator's hostname/FQDN> (Used when replying to a message)
Body => Body of the message (message must remain under 10k)

Notes:
Character set will be UTF-8

Example:

openid.mode =>	"message"
Message-ID => 	<9c322369050629130251b3f5ff at auth.mylevel9.com>
Date => 			2005-06-29T17:11:51Z
 From => 			Thom McGrath <mylevel9.com/user/Tekcor>
Sender => 		http://auth.mylevel9.com/?action=openid
To => 			Kristopher Tate <mylevel9.com/user/Kris_Tate>
Subject => 		Hey Kris, I got your message about openid.mode = message
In-Reply-To => 	<9c322369050629130251b3f5ff at auth.mylevel9.com>
Body => 			This is a test message :P