OpenID Logo

ydnar ydnar at shaderlab.com
Wed Jun 29 20:21:28 PDT 2005

I own the logo.

The plan is to transfer the trademark/copyright/whatever to Six Apart (or
some OpenID.org) so it can be CC licensed or similar. Something like Jon
Hicks did with the Firefox logo.

We honestly haven't fully discussed the trademark/licensing issues around
the OpenID branding.

My feelings on it fall somewhere between complete and total Public
Domaining of the thing, but somewhere short of giving spammers and
phishers something to tie their boats to. I'm also a wee bit protective of
the lines. The logo is an evolution of something I've had for a while, and
I'm not terribly keen on seeing it mangled.

Then again, a logo is just a logo, and all good ones (or recognized ones,
rather) eventually get repurposed, parodied, recolored, photocopied,
redrawn, reinterpreted and otherwise mangled. I'm not going to get upset
about it.

Now having a badge that signifies some form of OpenID "certification" is
something entirely different. That particular badging/nomenclature can and
should be (c)/TM so someone (us) can nail someone for using it on a site
with a crap implementation (for instance).

That said, here are PDF, PNG, GIF and SWF versions of the logo, including
color, whitespace, reverse and monochrome treatments:

http://akiba.shaderlab.com/openid/

(don't use anything named *base or *old)

Cheers,