OpenID Proposal: OpenID Messaging

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:35:44 PDT 2005

It is definitely out of the scope of OpenID. But one of the primary reasons
I took an immediatte interest in the OpenID project when I learned of its
existence from Sam Ruby is that it fits into the "credentials" space of a
project I began developing a year ago March called "L.L.U.P." (PULL
backwards; "The Other Side of Push" is the project slogan) which actually is
an acronymic base for a variety of terms:

Limited[Lifetime|Length|Location] Ubiquitous Protocol > which in short
definition is:

A proposal summary of a messaging protocol for weblog intercommunication and
decentralized messaging of time sensitive and/or geographically specific
publications.

The very old and nearing outdated executive summary to the specification can
be found here > http://llup.org/LLUPWorkingDraftSummary.doc

After originally developing and documenting this idea I brought together
several close friends in Kurt Cagle (recently appointed as the Chief
Architect for Netscape 9), Russ Miles (Software Engineer, General Dynamics
UK, author of "AspectJ Cookbook" from O'Reilly and is now working on another
undisclosed title after recently finishing his Masters Thesis at Oxford
University's Kellog College), and Don "DonXML" Demsak (Microsoft XML MVP)
and created the first iteration document linked above. I am currently
working on the updated specification in which too much has changed to try
and cover in this email. However, when available I will offer up the link
location to this list for immediatte consumption.

LLUP is actually set to be the defacto messaging format for my ChannelXML
project in which the .net domain space will be a decentralized network of
nodes working together in coordination to gather, sort, and make available
via subscription and search services content that is specific to a defined
channel in which those in whom have an interest in a particular topic (e.g.
Decentralized Messaging, General Technology, Exotic and Gourmet Coffee's of
the World, or whatever other topics might exist where there are groups of
people willing to collaborate in both resources, knowledge and expertise,
etc...) have banded together and donated a percentage of a systems resources
to serve up this channeled content to the world after it has been processed
by these same servers. Again, too much to try and cover in this email but
you will hear more of this piece very soon.

As you will notice if you read the above specification summary this is
something I have sat down with both Tim Bray and Sam Ruby in person to
ensure this was something they saw as both valuable and necessary and to
furthermore gain advice on what to do next. While I wont go into specifics I
will mention that Tim's last words before we left the bar that evening were
"Go and change the world!" so I can assure you this is a project that I have
since poured my heart, soul, and all available energy into its creation and
I'm excited to now state that I believe I have most definitely found the one
remaining missing piece to this project in OpenID which, in many ways, will
be the crux of the entire project if it can be proven to act as a reliable
and adequate filter for who can and who can not gain access to us via the
mediums used as part of this messaging protocol.

I believe this project (OpenID) can do a lot more than that and am EXTREMELY
excited now to see this completed (or very near completion) right around
this time as I have purposely and specifically held back any and all
releases for public consumption of the updated materials until such time as
the Atom Data Feed Specification and Publishing Protocol reach the
1.0status. According to Tim Bray's latest comments from the end of
last week
they are less than a couple months away from this release which is now the
primary foundation of the LLUP protocol. Between now and then there should
be adequate time to both determine/prove that LLUP has found its
"credentials" solution in OpenID and furthermore develop the ChannelXML
project with complete integration such that upon recieving word of an Atom
1.0 specification release I can then immediatelly announce the first beta
release of the ChannelXML project and related software with full integration
of LLUP and OpenID. Actually, the two sound pretty good together when you
speak them outloud.

Cheers :)

--
<M:D/>