OpenID Proposal: OpenID Messaging

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Wed Jun 29 17:42:44 PDT 2005

On Jun 29, 2005, at 7:43 PM, Kristopher Tate wrote:

> So, let's look at openid.mode = 'associate'. Associate is only used
> by most of us as a "smart mode". So, upon response, why not have a
> key-value that talks about services, and then another value that
> would have info on that service.
>
> So, what if I had implemented my http mail system over OpenID, my
> ID Server would return all the regular associate stuffs.. with:
>
> services:openid-mail,lid-mail
> openid-mail:http://example.com/path/to/openid-mail/
> lid-mail:http://example.com/path/to/lid-mail/

I worry about the potential for bloat...OpenID is an identification
protocol, and I am not sure that it is OpenID's place to be giving
pointers to other servers.  Couldn't you use <link> tags (or an
appropriate equivalent for non-HTML documents) as pointers to the
"openid-mail" and "lid-mail" servers?  That way OpenID can stick to
being a superior identification protocol, without the bloat of
messaging.  Keeping the protocol clean, lightweight, and focused
makes it easier to implement.

Just my two cents.

-Kurt