Seemless Single Signon

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Fri May 20 05:23:52 PDT 2005

I've seen greasemonkey and bookmarklets mentioned in this mailing list,
but only in the context of pre-filling in fields and the like.

So much more is possible.  Much more.

If you recognize that the desired end result is a specific DSA
signature, and that many of the clients are able to perform logic and
via the user at the keyboard potentially have access to all the same
secrets that the server has, you can streamline everything.

  - - -

Brief outline, from a user's perspective.  I'll pick greasemonkey, but I
imagine once a proof of concept exists, fans of other browsers will
quickly provide equivalents.

1) User installs greasemonkey script.  Possibly tailors a few things
like how long logins are valid for (paranoid=5 minutes, normal=1 hour,
unconcerned=1 day).

2) User visits web page.  The Verify button is replaced with a login
button.  User enters the URI and presses login.  This pops up a window
locally and prompts for a master password.  Once the user enters the
correct password, the popup goes away, the input field becomes readonly,
and the login button gets replaced with a logout button.  Note: no
server interaction, no delays occur.  User continues and ultimately
submits the form.

3) User visits a second web page, on a different site, before the login
expires.  The URI is again prefilled in, is again readonly, and the
verify button is again replaced with a logout button.  The user need not
perform any overt action to continue.

  - - -

 From a technical perspective, this is not very difficult to pull off.
There are plenty of simple greasemonkey scripts that do much more than
this to borrow techniques from.  What is required is:

1) the form itself needs to be standardized enough so that it can be
readily and reliably identified by the greasemonkey script.  This can be
as simple as agreeing on a class name.

2) every piece of information necessary to produce the signature needs
to be similarly readily available.

3) the algorithm for computing the signature needs to be something that
can be implemented in JavaScript.

- Sam Ruby