Seemless Single Signon

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri May 20 09:58:40 PDT 2005

Sam, Mart,

What Sam wants is (kinda) this, starting with a similar method that won't
work:

-- he wants to enter http://www.intertwingly.net/ as his identity

-- the helper on the target site he's visiting will fetch that
   and look for a <link> tag.  it finds:

     <link rel='openid.server' href='http://localhost:2341/' />

-- The MyPersonalIdentityServer.exe running in his system tray
   then gets an HTTP request on port 2341 and pops up an
   identity validation grant request dialog.  He clicks "okay",
   and his personal webserver running in MyPersonalIdentityServer.exe
   then sends the DSA signature to the browser's redirect, and
   all happens as normal.  EXCEPT.....

   The validating service can't connect to that guy's localhost
   to get his public key.

And he wants it to run inside Mozilla/IE, which means it can't
really listen on a port (easily?), so he'd want something more like:

And then the DSA signature is sent (from JavaScript) using the
in-Mozilla-stored/managed private key.

Could work.  The idea of a local identity server is appealing at least.

- Brad