Blog URI, is it necessary?

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri May 20 10:50:23 PDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Martin Atkins wrote:

> LiveJournal can't redirect www.livejournal.com/users/brad/ to
> brad.livejournal.com because it can't distinguish between an OpenID
> consumer and a regular pageview.
>
> However, since I made that post earlier today about canonical IDs I've
> come around to thinking it's a bad idea. It should be the Identity URL's
> responsiblility to canonicalize, since otherwise all of the identity
> servers will canonicalize in different ways.
>
> I guess LiveJournal users just get three different identities.

Which is why we've never been able to force them all to redirect to one of
the three... every URL form has its own vocal support group.  What we may
do is make every user have to choose which they use, and then redirect the
other two.  But from page to page, a LJ user always has their preferred
form, so they're not going to randomly pick one each time.