url -> name

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Mon May 23 13:21:46 PDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:00:22PM -0700, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 23 May 2005, Ben Hyde wrote:
> >
> > > The mention of FOAF in the current spec is a vestigial organ, right?
> >
> > The way it's mentioned in the spec is correct:  the helper on the
> > consumer's site can do whatever it wants... maybe it returns/parses a FOAF
> > or hCARD or XFN... whatever.  Once you know a user does indeed own a URL
> > tree, you can trust any document underneith it, including FOAF and such.
> > If their FOAF link is to a document outside of their owned URL tree, then
> > you shouldn't parse it.  If you do, you'll have to double-check it has a
> > "rel=me" pointer to something they own, but I'm not sure the exact syntax
> > for that in FOAF.
>
> Couple ways: most common way is just to say "This is my homepage" or
> "this is my weblog". Alternative is to look for a "foaf:made" - I made
> this document.
>
> <Person xmlns="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
>         xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
>   <nick>crschmidt</nick>
>   <weblog rdf:resource="http://crschmidt.livejournal.com" />
>   <homepage rdf:resource="http://crschmidt.net" />
>   <made rdf:resource="http://crschmidt.net/" />
> </Person>

But an RDF file can have multiple Person elements.  Any FOAF-crawler atop
OpenID auth should look for PersonalProfileDocument or whatever, right?

Can you write the Perl code that fetches/parses a FOAF file, does the
sanity checks that the FOAF is owned by the person (<made> element) and
gives a simple interface to getting common things like nickname, profile
page, etc?