Net::OpenID::UserProfile

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed May 25 05:17:17 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:39:12AM -0700, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
> Brad Fitzpatrick <brad at danga.com> wrote:
> > Mark Smith and I were discussing today a new module today, tentatively
> > called Net::OpenID::UserProfile, which would take a VerifiedIdentity
> > object from Net::OpenID::Consumer and use the foaf/maker/rss/atom data
> > that it discovers and makes available, and then actually goes and crawls
> > those resources (perhaps in some defined order of preference) to build a
> > UserProfile object with things like email (or hash), name, nick, blog URL,
> > etc.
>

> Unfortunately, XML::FOAF is a really heavy module; it depends on
> Crypt::OpenPGP, which pulls in about twenty crypto modules, many of
> which don't seem to install cleanly via the CPANPLUS shell.  (They
> work fine with standard CPAN.pm for some reason.)

Given the current state of FOAF signing, it's probably best to just kill
the Crypto stuff out of it: I have a collection of ~70,000 RDF documents,
including multiple thousands of which are FOAF, and 7 (yes, 7) are
signed. However, that still leaves the module with the very heavy
RDF::Core dependancy. Unless someone can tell me that my perception that
this is a blocker is just myth, which is totally possible, in which case
I can get into tearing apart XML::FOAF and making into what it needs to
be.

--
Christopher Schmidt