user@domain identity form musings

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri May 27 03:03:09 PDT 2005

loune wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> As I mentioned before, the draft specs for the ID system I was working
> on, instead of using URL, it uses IDs similar to emails. I've just
> realised that such a format could also be used with with open ID. A URI
> could contain the form http://user@domain/ and as long as the consumer
> passes this form to the ID server with the is_identity param, the ID
> server can take it and then do whatever verification with it.
>
> So the end result is that multiple people can share a website and still
> be identified individually.

I suppose that will work, though since the user/password URL format is
not technically allowed for HTTP I expect that it will not work for
everyone's HTTP libraries and browsers. Internet Explorer doesn't allow
this since Windows XP Service Pack 2, I believe.

I would be concerned that some consumers would be unable to accept such
URLs, and even once they have the links they generate will be unusable
for many web browsers.