Those Pesky Slashes

kurt at raschke.net kurt at raschke.net
Sat May 28 05:59:45 PDT 2005

> It seems like we need to do something about those pesky slashes.

Martin,

Please pardon me if I'm covering something which has already been
discussed, but what's wrong with URLs, whether or not they have
slashes?  I would assume that most OpenID users with weblogs know their
weblog URL, so if the OpenID login box says "Enter your weblog URL:",
then the user should know what to do.  But we start transforming URLs
to use them for OpenID login, then what?  Then the user has to remember
a separate form, distinct from their weblog URL, which they use for
OpenID login.

Take my weblog URL, for example:
http://www.raschke.net/~kurt/journal/
As I read the specs, as long as the auto-discovery tag for OpenID
exists on that page to point OpenID consumers to my server, then
everything will work.

Now, I can see how there could be a problem with proxies, but still, as
long as the user has some kind of homepage or weblog, just put the
<link> tag there.  Then, all they need to remember is their weblog URL,
which they probably already do.

Additionally, from your email in the "user at domain identity form
musings" thread:

> Most users aren't going to know it's a URL. For example, LiveJournal's
> documentation will say "Type username.livejournal.com into the OpenID
> Login box, where 'username' is your LiveJournal username". Users will
> then go ahead and do that, blissfully unaware of what is going on
> behind the scenes.
>
> What I *would* like is a way to clean up URLs which have slashes in
> them. Some sites aren't going to want the wildcard DNS, perhaps
> because they already have one or more real hostnames in the zone which
> conflict with usernames, so they're going to have identity URLs like
> mysite.com/username, which looks quite odd.

I suppose I'm still lost as to why they can't just use their
homepage/weblog URL, which has a <link> tag that points to the OpenID
server.  It seems to me that one of the points of OpenID is that users
can log in with something they already know, their weblog URL.

So, I'm wondering why we need to take perfectly servicable URLs, and
start transforming them, or requiring changes to DNS to make OpenID
work?

Again, my apologies if this has already been gone over before.

-Kurt
kurt at raschke.net
http://www.raschke.net/~kurt