Dealing with renames

Mark mark at nullcraft.org
Sun May 29 14:54:12 PDT 2005

Karl Koscher wrote:

> So, is there a good solution to this? Should we even worry about it?
> One thing I was thinking of is having the identity server return some
> unique ID that always maps to that particular user on that identity
> server. The unique ID doesn't have to mean anything to anyone except
> the identity server.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, with Drupal's authentication system, there's an authmap table that
maps a user's authentication credentials to their account id (distinct
from their username).  Additionally, it associates the authentication
module that would use this info with it, so multiple authentication
modules may co-exist.  That said, these credentials stay with a user
regardless of what their username is changed to.

-Mark