Dealing with renames

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Mon May 30 05:34:51 PDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Karl Koscher wrote:

> It occured to me that OpenID doesn't deal well with accounts that are
> renamed. As far as the consumer is concerned, different usernames/URLs
> belong to different users. However, often this isn't the case. For
> example, LiveJournal allows users to rename their accounts.

As I see it, this problem can be solved fairly easily on the
consumer-side.  First off, I would say that there are two basic types
of OpenID consumers--those that use OpenID for authentication to some
type of persistent account or session (like LiveJournal, for example),
and those that don't have any kind of persistency (like an
OpenID-enabled guestbook or weblog comment form).  Given that there can
be a one-to-many mapping between people and OpenID personas (or login
URLs), I would argue that OpenID consumers should support a many-to-one
mapping between OpenID login URLs and internal accounts.

In other words, I could log in to an OpenID-enabled site using one URL,
then at a later date indicate to the site that some other URL should
also access the account generated when I first logged in with the first
URL.  I could then de-authorize the first URL, or leave it enabled.

For non-persistent applications, though, I think that the issue of
dealing with renames is a moot point.  If you post a comment in a
weblog and give your URL, and then that URL changes three months later,
it's a dead link, regardless of whether or not OpenID is involved.  I'd
say that that should be handled with HTTP redirects, not changes to the
authentication layer.

-Kurt