Implementing YADIS with no new software

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Tue Nov 1 06:10:27 PST 2005

Martin Atkins wrote:
> With a few changes to the discovery mechanism, I believe that it would
> be possible to support all this YADIS business with no further
> implementation.
>
> There are two key changes:
> * The <link> element in the retrieved HTML document, rather than being
> required to point at an identity server, is instead specified as
> pointing at a capability document. This doesn't really change much
> except the terminology used.
> * The capability declaration document (the x-meta-identity thing) is
> extended to support the specification of a URL to use as the endpoint
> for each declared capability.

Why require two network interactions to simply find a server?

Why not simply put a single link tag in for each server that you support?

  <link rel="openid.server" href="OPENID.SERVER">
  <link rel="lid.server"    href="LID.SERVER">

If this ever gets to the point where it is unweildy, then one could go
the route of the meta-identity server:

  <link rel="meta.server"   href="META.IDENTITY.SERVER">

I suspect, however, that few of us will find a need for it.

- Sam Ruby