YADIS as an abstraction layer

Benjamin Yu benjaminlyu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 15:35:36 PST 2005

> I guess my point relative to your mail (and this thread in general), is that
> I would strongly suggest using content-negotiation, rather than overloading
> the HTML/HEAD structure (and thus also potentially reduces the number of
> resource requests involved in getting such capabilities data).

Ok. I understand your point now. :) Not overloading the HTML/HEAD structure is
a perfectly valid point.

Based on what I am reading, I may have to reverse my stance on embedding
Capabilities Data withing a person's HTML homepage.

In the cases of just a few capabilities, I think embedding is acceptable.

But I'm reading that we're thinking of doing thousands and thousands of
capabilities or services. In this case, it sounds like a document unto itself.

Now whether or not this is done via content-negotiation or not, I think we'll
definately have more discussion on the list about it.

As for now, I'm not taking a stance on it just yet.

> So even from the server's perspective, while I'd concur that the
> capabilities are not returned via http headers, negotiation for service may
> occur there.

I completely agree with you here.