YADIS as an abstraction layer

Lukas Leander Rosenstock webmaster at lukasrosenstock.net
Wed Nov 2 13:02:19 PST 2005

Martin Atkins wrote:

> * How do you handle URLs that don't end with a trailing slash? Where
> is the auto-discovery document for <http://joe.mysite.com/aboutme.html>?
> * How do you handle URLs with query components? Sadly, some sites
> present horrible identity URLs like
> <http://www.mysite.com/identity.php?user=fred>.
> * What about sites powered by software that is simply incapable of
> presenting content at that URL? I know at least one content management
> system that takes over the entire URLspace and uses URLs like
> <http://www.mysite.com/section/section/section/>, reflecting the
> structure of the site and always including a trailing slash. Not all
> sites are delivered from static files on disk.
>
> In short, "magic" filenames open a can of worms since URLs were never
> intended to work like that. Even IE's "magic" favicon.ico is
> overridable by a LINK element, presumably because the designers of
> that feature realised that it is not appropriate nor possible to
> dictate a particular URL structure for all sites.

I agree with what you said, still I believe it is a good idea. As a
fallback solution it would still be possible to try again with the URL
itself and then following a Link-Tag in the (X)HTML, then everyone could
use it, however I think it would be used very rarely (it reduces
performance and causes traffic).

With the URLs, why not enforce some simpler usernames? I don't think
someone really has to use things like
https://server:4223/users/id/script.cgi?user=name as their personal
logon name, most identity URLs today look simple as
"brad.livejournal.com" and it is good that way. If I have the
"visionary" look I see for example just entering my friends' unified
usernames (-> URLs) into my calendar and the software sets up
appointment sharing etc., I (if I were a non-tech) would like to see
simple and, yes, unified usernames (maybe only hostnames) that can be
converted into a URL. A simple webspace from a typical mainstream
webhost company with domain catchall can easily create many simple
identites like firstname.familyname.tld or name.company.tld so I would
look from this perspective and not some strange uncommon systems.