User @ domain.tld as ID (Once again)

Matthew A. Nicholson matt at matt-land.com
Thu Nov 3 06:30:32 PST 2005

Richard 'toast' Russo wrote:
> Not necessarily to you in particular, but what is with everyone's
> hangup on user at host?

The reason people (read "the reason I") want something like this is that
it has potential to become the single true ID.  People are tired of
remembering an ID for every site they go to.

> 1) Even with some magic mapping function, it's just never going to
> work for everyone.  Period.

I am not particullary a supporter of a mapping function.

> 2) People aren't comfortable using email addresses as identifiers.
> This is why you can set a username everywhere, even if they require
> an email address for registration.

There are several places where I register with my email address.  It
makes things much eaiser for me personally.  One less thing to remember.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-Land.com